The College Station train depot is one of the most important buildings in the history of the city of College Station and Texas A&M University. When train travel was the main mode of transportation, it was the gateway to and from the small community isolated on the Texas prairie, and eventually it became the namesake of the city of College Station in 1938 when the city became incorporated. The original train depot was a very small Victorian building built in 1883. It was replaced in 1900 when Southern Pacific took over the Houston and Texas Central Train Line. Around 1925, the College Station Train Depot was enlarged keeping the main architectural elements. Benjamin created this pencil drawing to depict the depot in 1938 when the city was incorporated, and the city officials met in the depot to make that historic decision. Vehicular traffic slowly replaced train travel, and by 1954 the depot was no longer in use. It was razed overnight in 1966 to make room for the expansion of Wellborn Road.
After years of in-depth research and with his degree in Architecture from Texas A&M, Benjamin set out to design an exact replica of the 1900 depot as his gallery and to promote the arts in the community. This was a very ambitious and challenging feat for an artist with a small gallery. He prevailed, and the College Station Depot was dedicated on October 2, 2001 by Texas Governor Rick Perry.