Last Corps Trip
Benjamin Knox Gallery
This large fine art print is an exquisite example of the history of the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets and the campus. Benjamin created the original painting in acrylic and designed the composition with his "open frame within a frame"concept. The central focus is the triad of images in the middle of the frame, with a collage of images designed to surround the interior frame. Directly in the center is the red brick Old Main building (1876-1912) which was destroyed by fire and replaced by the Academic Building (completed 1914), which is seen in the other images. The Corps is depicted in various times throughout history; from it's inception in 1876 with Old Main behind the cadets in their West Point style uniforms, in the top right during World War 1, the top left during World War 2, and at the bottom marching on the Simpson Drill Field for Final Review. The Last Corps Trip poem written by P.H. Duval class of '51 flanks both sides of the interior frame and is superimposed over the historic Lawrence Sullivan Ross statue and the Twelfth Man statue/bonfire. The neutral gray of those images makes the poem stand out with elegance. The poem is famous for being read at bonfire and musters all over the world. Benjamin and P. H. Duval were friends and collaborated on multiple projects like this one that also helped develop multiple scholarship endowments for the Corps of Cadets.